Tuesday 23 November 2010

End of Module Evaluation.

I have developed many skills from this module, including the 'proper' way to kern type, which I applied when designing the Identity for my fictional company and how to manage colour such as 4 colour printing and being precise what the finished printed colour will be in contrast to the colours on screen, knowing my limitations with CMYK. I've developed a more hand on approach to design, drawing my ideas out more often, putting ideas onto paper and illustrating concepts gives me a clearer idea of how things will look. At the beginning of the module i found myself concentrating on context more than practice and after several weeks, i had an idea of what direction I was heading in but no visual evidence such as design sheets but as soon as I started sketching it all seemed to come together much quicker. My drawing skills aren't the greatest but they have developed through practice. Another practical skill I developed was hand craft such as putting nets together and embossing, which I enjoyed greatly. The embossing process is a great aesthetic in design which I put to use on one of my posters. I also developed my research abilities, and found that I'm good at creating a clear and definite route from a topic to ideas to concept to ideas, for example, my 'good' was originally colour and through colour theory research I investigated colour association which lead me to researching foods that disobeyed our natural colour association, 'odd coloured foods' was then my 'good' which lead me creating a grocers and so forth.
I found that my strengths in this module was developing an identity that was right for the company and it's market, I felt that the logo was sophisticated, colourful and possibly one of my best pieces of design work so far. Researching into relevant packaging also appeared to be a strength and extracting ideas from that research. Yet I do regret not utilising the time I had on this brief, I feel i could have experimented with foil blocking and created more visually interesting promotional print and a larger range of packaging. My time management skills are getting better but right now they just aren't good enough, I'm discovering the designer inside of my and I'm growing in confidence but when I look back I feel that if I'd of applied myself more I would be a much better designer, luckily for me I still have time.
In the future i plan on utilising all of the time given in the brief, sketching and drawing out my ideas from the beginning of my research, experimenting with more print processes and developing more design ideas instead of just the first few that pop into my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment